|Number of Parameters
|Estimated 100 trillion
|Multimodal (text and images)
|Short-term memory ~8,000 words
|Extended short-term memory ~64,000 words
|Improved multilingual support
|More customizable responses
|Limited Search Capacity
|No internet search
|Limited internet search (beta)
|Plugin integration (beta)
GPT-4 in ChatGPT Plus marks a significant advancement over its predecessor, GPT-3.5. With 100 trillion estimated parameters, multimodal capabilities, expanded memory, improved multilingual support, steerability, limited internet search, and the introduction of plugins, GPT-4 offers enhanced language understanding and customization. While it’s not without limitations, GPT-4 in ChatGPT Plus proves to be a valuable tool for various tasks, complementing human expertise
Comparing ChatGPT 3.5 and ChatGPT 4: A Feature-by-Feature Analysis
In this article, we delve into the remarkable advancements introduced by GPT-4, the latest iteration in the ChatGPT series, available through the ChatGPT Plus subscription service. This new version represents a substantial leap forward in the field of conversational AI, offering numerous improvements over its predecessor, GPT-3.5. We explore how these enhancements impact the capabilities of AI language models and their practical applications.
1. Number of Parameters:
- GPT-3.5: GPT-3.5, the predecessor, had 175 billion parameters. Parameters are the model’s learnable weights that help it understand and generate text.
- GPT-4: While the exact number isn’t disclosed, GPT-4 is estimated to have been trained with approximately 100 trillion parameters. This is a substantial increase and contributes to GPT-4’s improved understanding of context and nuances. With more parameters, the model can better capture complex relationships in language and generate more coherent responses.
2. Multimodal Model:
- GPT-3.5: GPT-3.5 primarily processed text inputs and generated text outputs. It couldn’t directly handle images or other non-textual data.
- GPT-4: GPT-4 is a multimodal model, meaning it can process both text and image data. For example, it can analyze images provided as prompts and generate text-based responses related to the visual content. This capability enhances its usefulness in tasks that involve both textual and visual information.
- GPT-3.5: GPT-3.5 had a short-term memory that could hold approximately 8,000 words. This limited its ability to maintain context over longer conversations.
- GPT-4: GPT-4 significantly extends the short-term memory to around 64,000 words. This means it can better retain and reference information from earlier parts of a conversation. It contributes to more contextually relevant responses and smoother interactions.
4. Multilingual Capabilities:
- GPT-3.5: GPT-3.5 primarily supported English and a few other languages.
- GPT-4: GPT-4 has improved multilingual capabilities, offering support for 25 languages other than English. This includes languages like French, German, Spanish, and more. The expanded language support makes it a valuable tool for users worldwide, catering to a more diverse user base.
- GPT-3.5: GPT-3.5 had limited control over the style or personality of its responses.
- GPT-4: GPT-4 offers more “steerability.” Users can instruct the model to provide responses with specific personalities or tones. For example, you can request responses as if the model were a pirate or adopt other personas. This feature adds versatility and customization to the generated content.
6. Limited Search Capacity:
- GPT-3.5: GPT-3.5’s responses were generated based on its training data up to a certain point and did not have the ability to search the internet for real-time information.
- GPT-4: GPT-4 introduces a limited search capacity. Users can instruct the model to search the internet using Bing for more up-to-date information. While this feature enhances the model’s ability to provide timely responses, it is still in beta and may have limitations in accuracy and coverage.
- GPT-3.5: GPT-3.5 did not support plugins or external application programming interfaces (APIs) for expanding its functionality.
- GPT-4: GPT-4 introduces a beta feature known as “plugins.” This allows OpenAI and third-party developers to create external APIs that can interact with ChatGPT-4. For instance, travel plugins can help users find flight information, and document search plugins can extract answers from specific PDFs. Plugins extend the model’s capabilities and make it more versatile for various applications.
These improvements result in a “smarter” model with better exam scores and a 40% increased likelihood of providing factual responses. While not without limitations, GPT-4 in ChatGPT Plus is a valuable tool for various tasks, offering assistance and customization while complementing human expertise.
While GPT-4 showcases remarkable advancements, it’s essential to recognize its role as a tool that complements human expertise. It’s not without limitations, but its potential to enhance various tasks is undeniable.
In conclusion, GPT-4 in ChatGPT Plus represents a significant stride forward in the realm of conversational AI, promising exciting possibilities for human-AI collaboration
Tags: chat gpt4 vs chat gpt3.5,programs related, gpt4 vs gpt35